Saturday, June 1, 2013

Labour of Love: Training my husband to buy the right gift


I love long whimsical necklaces. The only problem is gold better suits my skin tone than silver... and I don't have the budget for it (a dreamy Ippolita creation easily reaches $4,000).


So I've bought my share of shiny trinkets under $20 (you know, to match that new outfit). They never last long. I've moved on to better quality pieces ($60 range Guess, Anne Klein, Fossils). Very durable, but they would oxidate in reaction to my skin. 

Then, I fell in love with Holly Yashi's necklaces at Labour of Love (242 Carlton Street). Made out of niobium, as pretty as gold but rarer, light as a feather and 100% hypoallergenic, all the pieces showcased at Labour of Love had the modern gypsy look I favour.

The one I preferred was over $200. Too much for impulse buy, but perfect as a Christmas gift! 

My step-by-step approach 
With such an issue at stake, you'll agree with me it was not the time for subtleties and gift "suggestions":

1) I wrote down the designer's name and the piece number (Holly Yashi is actually a duo of designers with a creative team, check this clip) on Labour of Love's business card. 


2) Back home, I visited the designer's website, hunted down the necklace and printed a colour photocopy of it, to which I stapled the store's card.



3) I handed the photocopy to my husband. 



4) I dropped him at the door of Labour of Love. And suggested he meets me at Jet Fuel, the espresso bar on Parliament (a 3-minute walk from Labour of Love) once he's done.  



5) Finally, I acted surprised when he gave it to me two months later for Christmas. (He actually really surprised me, having bought the necklace's matching bracelet as well!  Aaaaw...) 

The gift of guilt-free indulgence
My teenage son was horrified when he discovered my unromantic step-by-step approach. I had to explain to him that what his dad actually gave me for Christmas was the gift of a guilt-free indulgence. (I would have felt bad treating myself with this kind of accessory. Now I can wear my beautiful necklace guilt-free.)

That was two years ago. Last Christmas, without my prompting, my husband returned to Labour of Love and got me another Holly Yashi creation.

By the way, niobium truly is hypoallergenic. My necklaces, which I wear regularly, are as shiny now as they were two years ago. What a treat!


Toronto Urban Strolls sold at Labour of Love
The gift and jewelry store Labour of Love is included in the Cabbagetown Nooks & Crannies Stroll which you'll find in my walking guide Toronto Urban Strolls... for girlfriends 1.
Regina, the owner, has seen people showing up at her store with my guide in hand!

She now carries both guides:  Toronto Urban Strolls 1 (with 28 walks) and Toronto Urban Strolls 2 (with 24 additional walks, no overlap with the first guide).



Liked this post?
LIKE Toronto Urban Strolls on Facebook.
It will motivate us to keep going!



No comments:

Post a Comment